Friday, May 09, 2008

A CVS triumph!

So now that I've been playing The Drugstore Game for two months, I've finally come to understand that the real pros make it work by combining things they need with things they don't need that give them ECBs. I still don't get how they do all the calculations so that they're only spending a couple of bucks each week, but I am apparently getting better at it.

I felt so triumphant when I left CVS today. I walked out with a package of Bounty Basic paper towels, which were on sale for $4.99 for 8 rolls, a Venus Embrace razor, and a tube of Aquafresh toothpaste, which was free after ECBs. I used a $3 off $15 purchase coupon, a 25-cent coupon for the paper towels, a $4 coupon for the razor, and a $1.50 coupon for the toothpaste. I also forked over $7.98 in ECBs and paid $1.81 out of pocket. I got $5 in ECBs for the razor and $2.99 in ECBs for the toothpaste. So for once, I got things I actually needed, paid only $1.81 out of pocket, and still have the same amount of ECBs as when I started.

I walked out of CVS a little stunned and more than a little pleased that I had actually managed to play the game at the highest level, so to speak. (Well, the second highest level, anyway. A true expert wouldn't have spent more than a dollar.)

I only wish this transaction had been accompanied by a magical epiphany enabling me to calculate all deals in a similar fashion from now on. Alas, the deepest secrets of playing the Drugstore Game at CVS still elude me ...

7 comments:

  1. I am impressed! Nice work!
    Doesn't it feel good to leave with things you need and not have to spend REAL money!?!

    Thanks for joining the CVS Superstars! I would say you fit the title!
    Denise
    The "Cent"sible Sawyer

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yay! You're getting it! Nice job. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I still have problems figuring out how to pay around $1 as well! One time I did it completely by accident. :-) But I usually spend around $4 -- still a great deal!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I didn't "play the game" last week, but I know exactly what you're talking about!!! My goal has been to spend less than $5 oop whenever I'm in CVS because I can't seem to get my OOP lower. Then toward the end of April somehow I managed to successfully spend less than $1 for my transactions, roll ECBs, and even leave with an extra $1 or 2 in ECBs! This happened a couple of times too! Woo-hoo!!! I think the key might be to make larger transactions.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I don't play the CVS game very often but I can't but I love it!! It's very addicting!

    ReplyDelete
  6. You probably know this, but just in case... A Full Cup.com posts several upcoming weeks worth of ads, so you can check to see if Charmin or Bounty is going to be on Sale at CVS.

    Thanks for blogging!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks everyone!

    And thanks very much for the info, Rebecca! I didn't know and I've already been over to A Full Cup several times now :)

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for sharing your thoughts - I really enjoy reading them. (However, I will delete any spammy or offensive comments at my discretion.)

If you've enjoyed this post, you may want to get regular updates by subscribing to CFO by RSS or email.